Ted G.
Ted G., Rigger, Diagnostician
Experience:  40 years boating, Safe boating instruct., Offshore Race promoter, Failure Analysis, Expert Witness
7183013

I have a 30 ft Sea Ray 2009 and I have isolated a leak on the

Customer Question

I have a 30 ft Sea Ray 2009 and I have isolated a leak on the rub rail my question is how is the rub rail affixed to the hull is it screwed into the fiberglass or is there a nut on the back side which would require me removing interior covering
Category: Boat
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
On the 30 I am pretty sure they simply used screws. Pull back the rubber insert and remove a couple to be sure, it is pretty unlikely they would through bolt on that small a boat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try that I hope you are correct
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
They typically will not go to the trouble and expense of through bolting on smaller boats. But of course, that's why some start to leak. I can't be definitive because they often change from one year to the next and I have not personally dealt with that year and model. But I think you should be fine.