Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1990 70 horse Johnson mo.TJ7OTLESF HAS WONT START

Customer Question

i have a 1990 70 horse Johnson mo.TJ7OTLESF HAS WONT START BUT ONCE IT DOES IT RUNS GREAT I WAS TOLD THEY DONT HAVE A CHOKE BUT AN INRICER BUT DO YOU THINK IT COULD BE A POWER PACK NOT GIVING OUT ANOUGH SPARK
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** are your symptoms? The choke is actually called a primer on this engine. It actually squirts a little fuel in to the intake to give the engine fuel during start up. It has nothing to do with ignition spark.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it turns over fine but wont fire i keep trying it will finally start and run fine
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
When you are starting the motor do you squeeze the primer bulb till firm then crank the engine and pushing in on the key while cranking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok do this locate the primer solenoid and turn the red lever. It will only turn one way. Now try to start the engine. Does it start easier? Do you have a volt meter to do some voltage tests?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do that and it seems to work sometimes sould it be forwards pointing to the front or to the back or up and yes i have a tester
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The lever in the auto position is with lever down towards the bottom of solenoid. The top is where the lever is attached. We need to check for voltage on the purple/white wire on the solenoid with key on depressed. Do you have voltage?