Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

My Mercury 150 protill power steering won't work. It worked

Customer Question

My Mercury 150 protill power steering won't work. It worked fine when I had it winterized?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please call me(###) ###-####
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
What is the motor doing currently when the engine is running?
Can you steer at all?
What is the serial number of the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a 20 year Retired Navy Veteran.
Yes, I am able to manually steer it, when I engauge the power steering the motor locks the manual steering, as it should. I push the left and right button, I hear the pump trying. Motor does not move. It worked fine before winterization by local dealer, now it does not. I suspect fluid was drained and not refilled. I am a certified Electronics mech. and there isno power issues.Far as serial #, can't get it tonight.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I check power steering fluid level?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Cool, I am retired DC.
Did you remove the cover of the pump and check the fluid level, or try and bleed the system? There is really only one reason to drain the fluid and that is due to water in it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, cause as I said it worked fine when I turned it in for winterization, and now it does ot work.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok,
the pump has a cover on it, remove that cover, look on the side of the res, and you will see a full make. Make sure that the fluid is to that mark. If not add some of Mercury's Power steering fluid.
The offer that I sent is to get my phone number and we can talk through this issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
K, don't know where that is. It is 2213 MN time. Will have to accept your offer tomorrow in light. I am going to bed.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. Same time here in AR. tomorrow I will log on after 8PM CST. I have a day job and a baseball game after that. talk to you then.