Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

My boat will not start, new battery, new plugs 3, compression

Customer Question

Hi my boat will not start, new battery, new plugs 3, compression reads 90, starts to turn over but drags or hits a dead spot. What should I check next starter?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
What engine are you working on? Do you have a voltmeter to check voltage at the battery?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sue outboard 70 hp evinrude checked battery already
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sue. Do you have a meter to check voltage at the starter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no what is it called?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
A volt meter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can i use the same tool that would check a battery's voltage
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** you can use that. Connect it to the positive battery terminal of the starter and crank the engine what does the voltage read?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tan thanks i dont have either with me at this time, i will give it a try soon!
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok let me know what you find. Be sure all your battery cables are clean and tight. Check connections on the engine and the battery. Both positive and negative.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sure wish she'd start sometimes it does though WTF
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i may try 10 times no go then i'll wait an hour or 2 and she goes?!?!?
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
This all depends on the voltage reading we get when you test it when the engine is acting up. You know it probably won't act up now that we need it to. This is indicative of a connection issue. A corroded connection can cause this. The connection gets hot and looses continuity. Then it cools and regains continuity. This is especially true on a bad ground.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Starters and batteries both have a ground?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also where or what is the crank engine?
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
I realize they have a ground but are the grounds clean and tight is what I mean by checking. Grounds can look clean and be tight and still have corrosion. You have to physically remove each ground and clean with wire brush or sand paper. I have been burned by grounds looking clean and not be making a good connection. Crank engine means turn the key switch to the engine start position cranking the engine over.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank u sir i will give it a try thanks for your time! Is a ground always black?
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Correct grounds are always black. The positives in the start circuit are the red battery cables. Post back with findings.