Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I just bought a 17' 1995 Seaswirl Spyder 174 with a 115 HP

Customer Question

I just bought a 17' 1995 Seaswirl Spyder 174 with a 115 HP Evinrude outboard. The boat only has 85 hours on boat and motor and still looks virtually new. We took the boat to the lake for the first time but could only get 3800 RPM and the boat would never plane out. The boat was most likely overloaded (6 adults, 3 toddlers, cooler, full fuel). Would you say that the overload was the reason for the slow speed (12 MPH) and not getting on plane? We tried to move weight and trimmed up and down with no success. Do you recommend a different prop? I don't know what is on it now. Thank you.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** we go changing anything lets determine if you were over loaded. Can you go run the boat with 2 people and see if the boat run good? If the engine does have an issue still while running the boat push the choke. Does it run better? If no change squeeze the primer bulb. Does it run better? Post back with findings. 17' boat with that many people and gear is most likely the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tan,

I can't go do that until this weekend. I did an estimate of the weight of passengers and came up with 1,105 pounds. Plus we had a cooler, probably 50 pounds and food and a few personal items, probably 25 more pounds so total load was 1,180 pounds and we were full on gas (not sure how many gallons). The boat is placarded for 900 pounds. So, I was overloaded.

I will try all your recommendations this weekend.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mark. That's kinda what I was thinking with that many people you were over loaded. But you could still have an engine issue. But lets do the water test with 2 people. If the boat runs good then we know where we stand. If it runs poorly then we know we have a engine or fuel supply issue. The 2 tests I posted will eliminate any fuel issue. So let go with these checks first.
Post back with findings.