Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

99 175 runs fine from idle to 900 rpm, from 900- 3000 rpm it

Customer Question

99 175 runs fine from idle to 900 rpm, from 900- 3000 rpm it sputters and bogs. from 3000 up its good again!
been like this since new. dealer had no answers.
gotta be an injector brain issue ??
Help
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
There were a whole host of updates and upgrades to these early Fichts. If the engine did not get all of them, that is going to be the issue now. One of the updates involved the heads and another was the injectors. Your Evinrude dealer should be able to look at the casting numbers on the parts and possibly run the serial number to see which ones the engine does not currently have. Getting the parts may now be an issue, as it was a long time ago for a boat engine.