Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

3.0 mercruiser w/ alpha 1 stalls when shifting either F or

Customer Question

3.0 mercruiser w/ alpha 1 stalls when shifting either F or R if stern drive is not straight
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** shift cable coming from the drive. It will be connected on the shift bracket. Now try shifting the drive in and out of gear. Is the cable hard to shift?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Try shifting the disconnected stern cable by hand by pushing and pulling the cable through the cable guide ?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Correct does it shift hard or easy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will reply tomrw
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'm on from 8 to 8 PST
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is considered hard ? I could move it back and forth without engine running by hand.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Did it take any effort? It should slide smooth and easy with very little effort. You should be able to use 2 fingers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Prob took 10-15 lbs each way but didn't stick either way from housing connected to shift plate to barrel with pin
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok if you have the drive turned all the way over to one side does it shift harder?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't tell a difference..... The same
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok the only thing that will cause the engine to stall is something in the shift linkage. We have eliminated the cable leaving the shift lever # ***** and 20. If these are stiff it will cause the shift interrupt switch to stall the engine. on the shift bracket. Doe it move freely with spring tension. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercruiser/3.0L%20-%20%28GM%20181CID%20I4%29/0B450801%20THRU%200C856558%20%281987-1989%29/SHIFT%20COMPONENTS%20%28OLD%20DESIGN%29/parts.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also want to mention that it shifts fine no matter which way the drive is turned out of the water. The stalling only occurs in water when shifting when drive is not straight
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The shift with no load will work. But under a load it won't. If the shift levers are free replace the shift cable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll send a video of the linkage moving while shifting in a couple of days.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok Thank you.........Tan