Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 1994 Mercury 60 hp tracker. My question is why would

Customer Question

I have a 1994 Mercury 60 hp tracker. My question is why would the tilt and trim sound like its pumping but not move the cylinder. It moves an inch but then stops and I've got to lower it just a click then it will pick up a little more. I need help
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

It can happen for any number of reasons. Have you checked to see if ther was any trim fluid in it? When was the last time it worked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** yes it had fluid in it. I changed it thinking that could be the problem. But it still works just stops at times. Motor still runs kind of like its out of fluid.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hey Blake.

Has the outboard hit anything/hit the bottom?

When did it last work correctly?

Do you happen to have the serial number on the engine so I can see which trim system you have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I bought it back during the winter and I got it home and the stator went out but everything worked fine before then I believe. Engine serial # *****
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Got it. Can you be a little more specific about what it's doing, or take a video of it and pop it on youtube?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok when I press up or down you can hear the motor running it will move up/ down a little then stop motor still running I'll try to post a video
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Okay i'll wait for the video.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I email it or text it to you my YouTube isn't loading because of the weather.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You can email it customer service at *****@******.*** and they can relay it to me. But there might be some downtime to that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to put to Jason or will they relay it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just emailed it
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

they should get it to me.

Let me ask you something else. What is it you are looking to do with the trim system?

The reason I ask is aside from the ram seals, nobody fixes these. Dealers do not fix them. Independents do not fix them. Nobody really fixes them. What is it you are looking to do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was looking to rebuild it because of the price I've found locally is so high. If I can rebuild it for 1/3 the new price then I will. I know the seals leak a little on the top
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the service manual on the engine? (which would include the trim system)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No unfortunately I'm the fifth owner so no papers on it
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.

Do you still need assistance with the trim. I have an idea for you to try.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What you got ?? Haha I'm out of ideas
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Open the manual relief valve. Pick up the engine and get it onto the trim stop. Close the relief valve. Open the fill cap and see if you get any fluid out of it. If not add fluid until it runs out of the port. Reinstall the cap. Trim the engine all the way up. Move the tilt stop and take the engine all the way down. Wait 30 seconds, then trim it back up, If it will not go all the way, repeat the process with the manual valve and filling the system. From what you are describing you are just not full of fluid.