Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I'm replacing my Sherwood impeller.It has keyway and a

Customer Question

I'm replacing my Sherwood impeller.It has keyway and a removable 1/2 moon piece of metal that fits flatside down ?? on the shaft. What is the best wy to correctly align the impeller onto the shaft & keyway
thanks
xxxx xxxxxx
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dick, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Do you have a Sherwood number on the pump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
09959k
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
09959k is the part number on the impeller kit, and that kit fits many different pumps. Do you have any kind of numbers on the actual pump itself? Usually they are stamped someplace.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no not at boat but can go there tmorrow
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
That's no problem, there are no time limits here. Just reply back once you have a pump number and we can go from there.
Have a good rest of your night.
-Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Have a great night!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
good morning. I will be going to the boat later this morning and will provide the info requested.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good Dick. I'll be on and off throughout the day myself. Just let me know what you get for numbers and we will go from there.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dick, I see you started a duplicate question. What have you found out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't start a duplicate question.......
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If you click this link, are you able to see anything?
http://www.justanswer.com/boat/947hz-i-m-replacing-sherwood-impeller-1978-westebeke-40-diesel.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just checked the cover plate on the impeller and looked at the water pump itself. I find no part numbers on either. The cover plate has no info on either the inside or outside of the plate except for Sherwood stamped on the outside of the plate.
Dick
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** you take a picture of the pump? Does this look like your pump? http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/catalogs/catalog_group.php?owner=mdd&page_ident=13765-227&model=40 / 4-107 / 4-108 / WPD 10 / WPDS&manufacturer=Westerbeke&title=WESTERBEKE 40 - SEA WATER PUMP 16423&quant_position=&catalog=13765&printparts=13765&printservice=20502&printoperators=&comment1=
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the schematic may be representative of the pump but I'm not sure. I will go to the boat Friday morning look for my parts catalog take pictures of the pump and forward them directly to you.under another matter this indicates that there are 8 minutes left of expert work time. where has the rest of the time gone to ?can you document and send back to me?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
I cannot as I started on this late. The pump I posted is for your engine. But on something of this age there is no way to know what you have. Thats why pics help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pictures just taken Friday am
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The keyway is at the bottom of the shaft slightly to the right.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
What seems to be the problem? If you can't get the key to stay just crank the engine to get the key ontop. Then put some grease on the key to hold it in the key way lube the impeller and slide it in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The keyway has been rotated so that it is now on top. After lubricating the shaft etc. generously with winch grease I attempted to insert the impeller.
The vanes on the impeller do not compress enough to allow it to slide onto the shaft. The one time I was able to do that, it pushed the insert out the back. That has always been my problem . alignment and insertion. I do want to thank you for your words of encouragement.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok here is something else you can try remove the cam plate then install impeller. Now put the cam plate back in. This can be difficult but I have had to do this before. What has happened is the key way in the shaft has become worn. The key should be a very tight fit which makes installing the impeller a little easier you can be more forceful and the key won't slide out. Since the key is loose this is where I have done the cam plate remove and gotten the impeller in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
good morning. I attempted to removerm the cam plate after soaking it overnight with blaster but I couldn't break the screw loose. I was able to get the impeller onto the shaft but as before, but it moved the insert out of its place.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Can you get a new key? A new key might fit in the keyway on the shaft tighter. Have you tried a little heat on the screw in the cam plate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
good morning. I have not been able to budge the screw holding the cam plate. I have ordered and am awaiting delivery of the woodruff key. hopefully the new one will not keep slipping out as I insert the impeller.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok keep me posted.