Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

SOLD A 1986 CAPRI 5.0 LITER MOTOR RAN PERFECT CUSTOMER

Customer Question

HELLO SOLD A 1986 CAPRI 5.0 LITER MOTOR RAN PERFECT CUSTOMER JUST CALLED SAID ITS GETTING WATER IN OIL ALSO SAID ONE SIDE IS FILING OUT PLUGS WHAT WILL CAUSE THIS
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** there water in the cylinders? Has the engine been exposed to below freezing temperatures?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

YES BUT ITS WAS WINTERIZED BY THE SAME WAY IT HAS BEEN FOR 6 YEARS NOW ITS WAS IN STORAGE ALL WINTER RUNS PERFECT JUST GETTING WATER IN OIL ?

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
If the any of the drain plug holes were clogged and the water didn't run out the block can still freeze. Since engine runs perfect that eliminates cylinder head or head gasket. Leaving the intake manifold or the engine block. To inspect the intake manifold you will have to remove the intake. Look for the water passage gasket leaking or a hole in the intake manifold in the water passage in the intake. Do you know for a fact all the water was drained from the engine block?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK ALL I KNOW THAT IT WAS DONE THE SAME WAY IT HAS BEEN FOR 6 YEARS NOW IT HAD AROUND SIX GALLONS OF RV ADDED TO IT RAN IT THRU THE EXHAUST IT HAS HULL THRU ON IT ALSO

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The only way water gets in the oil is through the engine block or the intake manifold. It can get in around the cylinder head but the engine usually runs real bad as it will be getting water in the cylinders. Is this a fresh or salt water boat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

FRESH WATER THE NEW OWNERS TOLD US WHEN THE BOAT WAS PUT IN THE WATER IT FILLED UP QUICK WITH WATER WE OWNED IT FOR 6 YEARS WE NEVER HAD A ISSUE WITH IT EVER IM LOST HOW WOULD WATER FILL THIS BOAT UP JUST LAUNCHING IT IN THE WATER IM ALSO LOST ON THE INTAKE ISSUE ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT WHERE THE CARB BOLTS ON THANKS

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The boat filling up with water could be they didn't put the drain plug in. The water in the engine is either cracked block or the intake manifold where the carb bolts on. It could be leaking at the gasket or the water passage in the intake has a hole init.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK WE TOOK APART THE TOP PART WHERE IT GOES TO THE MANIFOLDS WHERE THE THERMASTANT WAS IT WAS MISSING WILL THIS CAUSE THE WATER IN THE ENGINE ALSO IM KINDA LOST ON THE WATER PASSAGE IN THE INTAKE WHERE IS THIS AT TAN IM A AUT TECH BUT MARINE IS AALOT DIFFERENT THANKS FOR THE HELP

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
No the thermostat won't be the issue. The water passage under the t-stat housing is in the intake and runs from one side of the engine to the other side of the engine. There is a water intake port in each cylinder head. Here is a small block GM. The areas circled in red are water passages in the cylinder heads.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The areas in red is the water passage in the intake manifold. The rear ports are not functional on a marine engine but it can leak due to gasket failure..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK SO REPLACE INTAKE FIRST CORRECT TO SEE IT THIS WILL TAKE CARE OF IT NOW CAN WE GET THESE GASKETS FROM ANT AUTO PARTS STORE OR ARE THEY SPECIAL ONES TAN

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
I would remove the intake and see if you can find something obvious. That will just reassure the diagnosis. If nothing do the gaskets. These are standard intake gaskets. I use Fel-Pro. Parts house should have these gaskets. Just get the intake gaskets for a 305 Chevy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK JUST REPLACED THE INTAKE GASKET STARTED UP NOW WE CANT GET THE WATER TO COME OUT THE EXHAUST IT ALWAYS DID COULD THIS BE A THE RAW PUMP IT WAS SEAPING SOME LAST YEAR OR AM I WAY OFF WE RAN IT FOR LIKE 1 MIN IT STARTED TO COME OUT THEN QUIT

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The raw water pump should be serviced every 100 hours of use or every season or whichever comes first. This is the manufacturers recommendations. Whenever you have a water delivery issue the water pump is the first place to start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok will do the new owner says it was bringing water into the boat thru the exhaust system we thing they for got to put plug in it we started it last night after changing the intake and new stant ran for a short time but noticed no water going thru the hull thru was for i very short time then quit we added water to the the side the raw pump hose but nothing came out we did nt get no water in the oil either but really cant tell correct it the raw pump aint pulling it thru the muffs correct

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Correct. It's hard on a pump to pull from the drive up to the engine. Your test verified the impeller is gone.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks tan i replaced inpeller ok does come out one side bur not the other side is there a reason why its getting real hot we shut it down thanks tan

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
This could be a clogged riser and manifold. Remove the water supply hose to the manifold start engine is it getting water flow? If you are getting good water flow the riser or manifold are clogged. Remove the riser and inspect the water passages are they clogged?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok i took off the little hose to the top where the stant goes it looks like it just comes out one side

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok pull the hose off that comes from the water pump start engine do you have water flow. This will be the hose coming from the transom connecting to the t-stat housing. Do you have good water flow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry tan will let you know monday ok thanks for allllllll yr help

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok thats fine. Please don't forget to positively rate me so I get credit for helping you. The question won't close.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK TAN WE GOT BACK ON THE BOAT STILL NO WATER ON ONE SIDE WE ADDED WATER TO ***** IT IT RUNS UP THE DIP STICK AND ALMOST OR DOES STALL THE ENGINE DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A BAD BLOCK AND IS BOAT MOTORS THE SAME AS A CAR ENGINE I HAVE ANOTHER ENGINE IN THE SHOP THANKS

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Yep except the camshaft is different and the engine uses brass freeze plugs.Your best bet is to get a long block with a warranty. Here is a link to what you need. http://www.michiganmotorz.com/marine-engine-196786-p-1251.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok just courios why is the can shaft different tan

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
In boats they a cam shaft for a rv. The lift in the cam is different for the operating range of a boat.