Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a lewmar pro 1000 windlass. I had my chain jam at the

Customer Question

I have a lewmar pro 1000 windlass. I had my chain jam at the splice to the rode and stressed it pretty good trying to free it up. The problem now is that i can hear the electric motor running to turn the gear to raise the anchor but the gear on the outside the unit won't move.. either direction under power, up or down. The motor is not engaging to turn the gypsy. I can move the gypsy by hand as if pulling the anchor up but not down so it appears the clutch is engaging. Any thoughts or advice?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
There is a bit of a gear reduction system inside of the windlass. There is also shear pin in there to help protect those gears. The unit might have sheared the pin, it might have stripped one of many of the gears in it. You have to take it apart and have a look. Did you have any specific questions about this, or need pictures of the internals of it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jason, I have since hired a local guy to address the issue. My apologies as I have wasted your time with your effort of a response. Take care sir.