Ted G.
Ted G., Rigger, Diagnostician
Experience:  40 years boating, Safe boating instruct., Offshore Race promoter, Failure Analysis, Expert Witness
7183013

We are purchasing a 380 Sundancer with bow thrusters and it

Customer Question

We are purchasing a 380 Sundancer with bow thrusters and it has a an odor in the salon. Upon checking the forward bilge, we found stagnate water. The boat is a 2000. There were no odors coming from shower or head area. Water was removed but a few days later smell still seems to be present. The boat was closed previously. Ideas about odor
Category: Boat
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Once mold has formed it can be very difficult to get out, because often you can't find it all. I have had good results with ozone treatment killing mold spores, since it is a gas it can penetrate all the places mold might be and kill it. The down side is too much of it will dry out and damage any vinyl inside the boat so doing it too much or too often should be avoided.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As mentioned it seemed to be in bilge. I do not see any mold. I checked everywhere no signs.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Well, yeah, but it can be on the underside of the flooring or inside bulkheads where you can't see. Ozone treatment will kill any odor that is organic in nature, well. Only if it is a petroleum based smell or some other chemical will it not alleviate those odors. You could also treat the bilge area and surrounding bulkheading with bleach for a few days, put it in a spray bottle at about 30% concentration, be careful around carpets and fabrics through.