Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a brand new Honda Outboard 2.3. I put oil in it

Customer Question

HI! I have a brand new Honda Outboard 2.3. I put oil in it to the recommended level. 15 minutes later, I tilted it up for trailering. Work on boat for 15 minutes. Did not move the trailer. When I lowered motor back down, there was no oil in sight glass. Where could it have gone? Opened oil drain valve, and nothing came out.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** whom am I speaking with?
I know this sounds silly, but did you let the motor settle for 20 minutes or so and check it again? Have you tried to start it, or add more oil since this happened?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Settled for 2 hours....still settling. Just checked it...no oil in sight glass
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Name is*****
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
No Problem, hey Roy.
Can you remove the spark plug and yank the rope a few times to see if any oil comes out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Let me know what happens. Are you near the motor now to give this a shot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am near the motor, but my tools are at the beach house. 2 hrs. away. When I get some tools, I will try it. What will it mean if I get oil coming out? I have no close neighbors to borrow tools from.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason, I found an old spark plug socket. Removed the spark plug, yanked the rope 10-12 times and no oil came out.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
When storing or transporting these engines they can tilt left to right, as well as handle normal g forces from towing (rather the oil within it), as long as they are vertical.
If the engines are tilted up. They can not be turned left to right or else oil will leak through the crankcase vent and into the cylinder. The same thing if you are towing. They should be towed with the engines down. If they are towed with them up the g forces from towing around corners will make the oil in the engine splash around, and it will work it's way up through the crankcase vent, and into the cylinder. Does that make sense?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The other thing you want to do is drain the fuel out. Do you see any evidence of oil in the gas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does make sense, but the only way I can get the engine the 'Tilt up' position, and locked is to turn it to the left or right to clear the battery compartment. Will check the gas now.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Do you have your Hondas Owners manual on the engine? (If not I can get you a copy)
Remove the fuel line that comes off the bottom of the tank and goes the carb and drain the fuel out into a clear jar and see if there is any oil in that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tank is about 2/3 empty. No sign of oil yet. ill get a clear glass jar. Yes, I have the manual
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sign of oil in gas.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
That's odd... depending on which way the oil left the crankcase breather it's possible it went straight out of the exhaust valve. Do you see any oil down around the propeller area?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on second please.....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No oil around the propeller area. Is it possible for me to insp. the crankcase breather? (Limited mechanical ability)
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You definitely can, it is on the back of the plastic carb cover (the air box). Click this link.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard%20Engine/2007%20and%20Later/BF2.3DK2%20LCHA/AIR%20GUIDE/parts.html
#1 is the breather. Is there any oil in that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will do..
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Keep me posted. Lets see if the airbox is full of oil or not. It as to be someplace.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I am correct the discharge comes out right next to the rubber strip that secures the engine cover to the engine. No oil. What would it hurt if I put oil in it, and cranked it up? I'm thinkin' oil goblins came by and stole the oil.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I'm thinking you have oil gremlins as well. I would add oil to it and crank it up. The engine only hold a 1/4 of 1 quart of oil. It might just be sitting the exhaust pipe and has yet to blow out. So go ahead and filler up and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do.... Don't have time right now. But will do tomorrow. Will let you know. I do appreciate you offering to obtain the manual for me, and sending me a link to the diagram. (which I saved) Thanks for your assistance! Roy
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You bet. Click this link below, this is the owners manual.
http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/marine/pdf/manuals/00X31ZW66330.pdf
I do want to make sure you are happy with the service I am providing to you before you go. Did you have any other questions on the engine or do you think that covers it for now?
Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Just checking in. Any luck?