Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

My 1994 mercury 60hp was running just fine then it went from

Customer Question

My 1994 mercury 60hp was running just fine then it went from running over 3000 on the tach to a little over 2000. Idles and runs until you put the gas to it. Could it be the fuel filter?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** whom am I speaking with?
It could be the fuel filter. Starving for gas because of a take issue or a weak fuel pump is also another common item. Has this engine ever made full power since you owned it, which would be about 5k rpms at top speed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No about 3600 rims if the tach is correct.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
What is the story on the engine. Did you just buy it and this is the way it is? Has it ever made full power for you in the past?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I bought the boat used from a dealer . It has been running fine for about 3 months
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It'll run to about 2400 rpms then it seems to choke out
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Got it. You had asked if it could be the fuel filter, and it definitely can. But it can also be some other things as well. For this engine here if you brought it to me I would perform a standard battery of tests including compression testing, spark testing, running the engine off of another fuel source, and pumping the primer bulb over and over in order to force fuel to the engine. I don't know what you have for tools or abilities so all I can do is tell you what I would do, and what the engine needs to have done to it. And then see if you want to do any or all of that on your own. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They just ran all of those tests in January , compression and ect.were fine.just seems like it would be a simple fix.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
This is a 60 horsepower engine that is considered a high performance engine, it's also 21 years old. And being an outboard, unless you have bad gas or a clogged filter, it's almost never simple. I know what it takes to diagnose and fix the engine, but what this comes down to is answering your questions and making you happy. Nobody can know what is wrong with your engine without a little troubleshooting. What would you like to do?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll try the fuel filter first. It doesn't have a in line filter and i know there is one somewhere, so could you help me by showing where it could be. Thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Sure thing. All of the Mercurys are cataloged by serial number. If you can get me that number I can get you all the pictures you need. It would be on a sticker on the clamp bracket.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Good morning. Just checking in. Any luck?