Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2009 Stingray with a Volvo 3.0 Penta FI engine. When

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Stingray with a Volvo 3.0 Penta FI engine. When I gave the boat full throttle it waits to go and then surges (like pumping the gas peddle in a car). The dealership has been "solving" the problem for a year now. Replaced water/fuel separater, alternator belt, checked fuel pump. Any advice?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be assisting you.Have you had the carburetor rebuilt?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is fuel injected
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hesitation would have to be the TPS (throttle position sensor). Have you had the engine on a scanner checking for codes? Has the throttle position sensor been changed? This component tells the computer the position of the throttle plates in the throttle body.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't done that, but wouldn't the Stingray mechanics have done that when I told them the problem?It also only does it at full throttle, if I set it at 3000 RPMs it does not duplicate the problem.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok that changes things you didn't mention it does it at higher rpms. This is a fuel starvation issue. Run the engine on a different fuel source. This will take the boat side fuel system out of the equation as a possible cause. Many mechanics work on the engine and don't even think about the fuel tank as a possible cause for restriction. The fuel pick up tube has a screen on the end of the tube which will get clogged with debris in the tank. This will cause a fuel starvation issue at high rpms. The other issue you could have is a fuel vent in the boat side fuel system being restricted. Due to a kink in the vent hose or bugs,dirt dobbers. Anything that will keep the tank from venting. Now do you know if they have eliminated the boat side fuel system as an issue yet?