Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Tracker Grizzly 1648 jon boat w/ 40hp 4stroke Mercury. When

Customer Question

Tracker Grizzly 1648 jon boat w/ 40hp 4stroke Mercury. When boat nears 25 mph water
begins to come over transom into boat thru motor bracket assy. Cavitation plate on motor
is set even with bottom of boat. Called Merc tech. & they hadnt heard of this problem as
being motor connected. Its like water is climbing back of transom and into boat.
You gotta be there to see this Phenom!!
You have any ideas?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** whom am I speaking with?
Is the year of the boat a 2012 as well as the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Speaking w/ BoB boat is 2011
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hey Bob,
I'm taking a look right now and the 1648 Jon is only rated for a 25 HP engine. In fact if you go an look up the new 2015 model on Trackers website you can see it there as well. Seeing as how it has a 40 on it the boat is to heavy and probably a bit to fast as well. Do you have any knowledge as to why there is a 40 hp on the boat now instead of a 25 (or less)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When purchesed dealer said max hp was 40 hp
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
That's not what I'm seeing. There is usually a tag on the boat someplace that says max horsepower as well. Have you seen that tag and do you know what it says on it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looked at grizzly lineup ,boat similiar to mine [console livewelletc] 1648mvc shows 50 hp rating
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bob. I don't see that. I see a 25HP rating for your boat. I see a 50 for the center console version, but for the Jon style I see 25.
Click this link below. Is this what you are looking at?
http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/specs.cfm?boat=3671
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mine was upgraded with stick steering heaver floa tation onsides livewell. Total wt. w motor at rear of boat, engine ,batts gas etc
320#s w driver at bow of boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I'll be more than happy to put in a call to Tracker for you in order in order to confirm the horsepower rating but I do want to confirm your model number. It is a 2011 1648 Grizzly Jon, correct?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bob, I actually just got of the phone with Deanne at Tracker marine (the company, not a dealership). She informs me that the 2011 and the new 2015 models are exactly the same. They make 2 versions of this boat. The "Jon" style, which is rated at 25hp. And the Center Console, which is rated at 50hp. At this point there is no question the engine on the boat is to big, and your overweight and probably over speed as well. Is this dealer you bought the boat from still in business to you can have a good talking to about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Talked with tracker waiting on response. Theyre checking for any previous complaints and solutions. Thanx anyway I`ll wait on them
Was kinda hoping you guys had heard of this problem. In looking at 1648 m0dels we have center console madel w livewell configured for stick steering not shown in there model lineup
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Tracker told my they only make 2 models of this boat, the Jon and the center console. One is rated for a 25, the other a 50. If you have anything other than that then you would have some kind of custom boat. Other than that i'm not to sure what to say as I can only go by what Tracker tells me. If they say the engine is to big, then the engine is to big. Does that make sense?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Aside from that, have you thought about possibly adding some tabs to the boat in order to give you a bit more lift?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was aconsidered option and thanx for reminding me. I`ll try it. over & out
BoB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Serial #BUJ63649F708
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I do want to make sure you are happy with the service I am providing to you before you go. Did you have any other questions on the boat or do you think that covers it?
--Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I knew going in this would be tough but raising stern at high speed may be solution
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I think it's going to be the only solution if you want to keep that engine. There are 2 options for doing that, the "Fins" also known as a whale tail. And a set of Smart Tabs. Click this link below.
http://www.nauticusinc.com/smart_tabs.htm
They are not much money. Maybe a little over 100 bucks for a set of the small tabs. There will be a night and day difference in terms of overall performance of the boat with a set of those installed. And it will keep the water from coming into the boat. Personally I would do a set of tabs over a single fin, they work quite a bit better.
If there was anything else feel free to ask. If not,
Just incase you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you can not see the ratings box, please reply back "I rate Jasons service as _______" and fill the blank with whatever you deem most appropriate. Questions do not lose out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating. Tips are always greatly appreciated.
If I do not hear back from you I thank you in advance and good luck!
Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Just checking in. Any luck?