Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a mercury 2.5 L inboard and i am noting getting any

Customer Question

i have a mercury 2.5 L inboard and i am noting getting any spark coming fromthe coil. what tell the coil to sent the spark
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** whom am I speaking with? All Mercurys are cataloged by serial number. Can I get that number so I can run it and see which ignition system you have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
soory my name is ***** ***** s/n is0b857940
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hey Mike,
I just ran the serial and the number you gave me is for the sterndrive. I need the serial number on the actual engine itself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that was the engine serial number that what i got of the tag
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
k onemin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the s/n number is ***** off the tag sorry. all i knowis that is has a coil package that send spark to dis cap and the coil has town four wires two on positive side of coil and two on ground side.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The serial number would be on a metal tag riveted to the engine block just above the starter motor. This is an actual stamped steel tag, so the serial number can not rub off it. Can you have a look at that tag for me and really try to pull a number off it. The problem is this engine has used 10 different ignition systems over the years and I would need to know exactly what it is.
The only other way to do it is if you can get me pictures of both the distributor and the ignition coil.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
found it mo6057nb
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunatley that isn't the number. The format of the engine serial number would be the same as the sterndrive serial number. Which is 1 number 1 letter 6 more numbers. For example 0A123456, or just like your sterndrive number 0b857940.
The engine serial number would follow that same format. If you can't find it, you can just take pictures of the distributor and ignition coil and I can figure out what you have that way as well.
-Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
b782259 is the s/n i found the tag sorry for all the number im a heavy equipment mech not a boat guy. thanks mike
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I have the serial number, that one works. Does your ignition coil have 4 posts on it with 4 different spark plug wires on it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes i have one coil package that connects to the distrib cap and it has four wires coming off and goinf to four plugs
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Got it. That is called a DDIS ignition system. That stands for Digital Distributorless Ignition System. I'm sorry to have to tell you but Mercury has not made any parts for that ignition system for the last 20 years.
That being said, you have 2 choices. We can troubleshoot that system if that's something you wanted to do, and we can figure out the bad part. You just can't ask me were you could find parts for it, if there are no used ones on ebay then there will be none available.
Or, we can talk about replacing that system with a more modern distributor type system.
Which would you like to do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it a freinds boat so i just want to try and troublshoot it and than I will or he will try and get the parts need
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Sure thing. Can you open up PDF files if I uploaded the troubleshooting in that format?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i think so
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
There are 3 parts to the ignition system. The ignition coil, the motion sensor, and the ignition amplifier. The coil and sensor are testable, the amplifier is not. When testing this if the coil or motion sensor are both a pass, then either the ignition amplifier is bad, or, there is low voltage to the system. What you will want to do is perform the tests in the document. If the motion sensor and igniton coil both end up being a pass. Check for voltage on the purple wire at the ignition amplifier with the engine cranking over. It needs to be 9.5V or better. If you don't have it, you likely have a bad key switch. If you do have it. Disconnect the gray wire on the back of the tach and try it again. As a shorting tach can kill spark. If all of that looks good, the ignition amp would be the faulty component. See attachment.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
In the event you find the problem, but can not find parts (which is very likely) you would want to replace the system with a Delco Voyager EST ignition system. Click this link, this is the system.
http://www.michiganmotorz.com/delco-voyager-marine-electronic-distributor-p-120.html
It's all of 260 bucks and that gets you a distributor, coil, plug wires. Everything you need. It costs less money than what the old DDIS ignition coil used to cost back when can get it. So if you do strike out on parts that is what you would want to use.
I do want to make sure you are happy with the service I am providing to you before you go. Did you have any other questions on the engine or do you think that covers it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay thank you. where is the motion sensor and ignition amps are
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
As you face the front of the engine, the motion sensor is to the left, just above the oil filter. The ignition amp is on top of the engine, towards the rear of it, on the electrical plate. Once the engine is in front of you, you won't miss it.
If you have a further question on this by all means feel free to ask. If not,
Just incase you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you can not see the ratings box, please reply back "I rate Jasons service as _______" and fill the blank with whatever you deem most appropriate. Questions do not lose out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating. Tips are always greatly appreciated.
If I do not hear back from you I thank you in advance and good luck!
Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Just checking in. Any luck?