Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

I have a 1982 johnson 70 horsepower. I had carbs redone ,timing

Customer Question

I have a 1982 johnson 70 horsepower. I had carbs redone ,timing set and all new electronics , put on motar. Outside of water it runs great but when in water it falls on face. No power at all
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Have you checked the compression of the engine? Normally it should be of minimum 100 psi per cylinder.
Noel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Compression is good.

Ok try the following: while the engine is without power remove the fuel line from the engine and see if it will start to run properly before it goes out of gas. If it does then the problem is with the diaphragm pump. It got thorn and it would need to be rebuilt. To do this you need a diaphragm rebuilding kit.
Noel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Aldeady done that.

Ok then next thing i would check is to remove the flywheel and see if the magnets are still in their place or have moved, as they tend to stick off the flywheel and the timing goes off.
Noel