Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

So I am trying to understand why my etec is overheating at

Customer Question

so I am trying to understand why my etec is overheating at high rpm... we have replaced and checked everything associated with the cooling system... I see in a post on this site that lean oil mix can cause overheating. I have noticed a white residue on my #5 cylinder plug... what should I do next?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Yes a lean oil mixture will lead to overheating but it will most probably seize the engine as well. To check the oil problem you need to verify the oil amount being consumed. It normally consumes approximately 75:1 ratio of oil so ideally you check that this amount is being consumed on an average trip. This will eliminate the oil problem.
Another thing you may consider is the mounting of the engine. If the engine is mounted too high it may be pulling up air from the top water pickup holes instead of water. Try covering with some adhesive tape the top two holes of the water pickup and see if it makes any difference.
If you need further assistance let me know.
Noel