Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

Larry just took out a pontoon that i just purchased and the

Customer Question

larry just took out a pontoon that i just purchased and the 40 hp yamaha was running great and when I shut it off the key will not start it. It will start with the pull cord but it will not start with the key and the tilt will not work either
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome,this question may need more than a single answer. Please post back with additional questions on this at any time.
Do you have the year, model number, 2 stroke or 4 stroke?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a 2 stroke 40 hp Yamaha
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
More than likely the problem is in the positive voltage circuit from the engine going into the wiring harness forward to the control. If you find the starter solenoid there should be a red wire off it, same side as where the battery is connected, that goes to a fuse. Replace the fuse and that should take care of your problem. You simply are not getting power to the control.
For any detailed questions on this if needed I'll need the year of the engine.
Thanks