Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

My 140 Suzuki four stroke won't go in reverse with the shifter

Customer Question

My 140 Suzuki four stroke won't go in reverse with the shifter all the way back it almost does it just starts to grind into gear but just can't get in. Do I need to tighten a cable ? If so how?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome,this question may need more than a single answer. Please post back with additional questions on this at any time.
The cable is adjustable. However if it has not been messed with you may have a control or lower unit problem. Lets try this. Remove the shift cable from it's attaching point back at the engine. This will allow you to move the shift linkage by hand.
Put the control into neutral before removing the cable. Spin the prop to ensure it is in neutral.
Remove the cable.
Move the shift linkage back while spinning the prop to see if you get full engagement in reverse. The prop will stop moving. If it grinds or ratchets there is a problem in the lower unit.
If it goes into reverse then shift the control to reverse and see if the cable moves enough to line up with the shift linkage. If not then the control may be faulty.
Post back what you get, we'll go from there.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Undid linkage tested by hand it goes into reverse and stops prop cold solid. Moved control back to reverse and checked cable alignment with linkage. It looks like the cable has more than enough to send linkage as far into reverse as possible..
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Make a mark where it goes into reverse. Put the cable back on and move to reverse. If it moves far enough then repeat while running the engine. If it jumps out of gear with the engine running then your clutch in the lower unit may be worn and pushing the lower unit out of gear. Post back to this. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't run it at moment but will do and I'll get back to you thanks jeff
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Great just let me know.