Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Just bought a new 4 stroke mercy 20 hp tiller and has only

Customer Question

Just bought a new 4 stroke mercy 20 hp tiller and has only a few hours on it. Saw small gas slick around engine while in water after boat was sitting for a few minutes while I was fishing. What does that mean?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Does the engine run OK?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes just fine. No problems at all. Purrs like a kitten. Only happened once
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My old 2 stroke merc did this once in a while. Can't be something like lower unit can it?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
It's hard to say it could of been just some unburned fuel when you shut the engine off. Some times if you come off plane fairly quick the engine will be a little rich with fuel. Now with the engine off squeeze the primer bulb does it get firm? Do you see a fuel slick? If it were a lower unit oil leak you would see globs of oil floating to the surface. When you get the boat out of the water check the gear lube just to be sure you aren't getting water in the lube.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't imagine anything could be wrong brand spankin new. Perhaps a seal was not tightened. Just turned off engine. Squeezed ball. Smaller slick this time. Little bit. Not as much as before. So what does that mean?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok pull the engine cover off the engine and check all the fuel line connections. Squeeze the primer bulb real hard. If you have a leak it will show up under pressure. Post back with findings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Will need to do that when I pull it out of the water. I can take it from here. One more question. At this point if it isn't fuel line leak. What else could it be on a brand new engine like this?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
This being a 4 stroke it could be an oil leak. You could have a gasket leaking. This could be a seal in the lower unit. Most likely it is a fuel leak as you said it did get a sheen on the water when you squeezed the primer bulb just not as bad. So that points to a fuel line connection. I would take the engine in to a dealer if you can't find anything obvious it will be covered under warranty. Hopefull it is just a loose fuel line connection that needs tightening. Post back if you need further assistance. Thank you......Tan
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Please don't forget to positively rate me as that is how I get credit for helping you.
Thank you.....Tan