Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a caravelle 187. 2007 with a 4.3 volvo penta. boat is

Customer Question

i have a caravelle 187. 2007 with a 4.3 volvo penta. boat is in imacculate condition. However, starts fine, idles fine, but when you throttle up and get to 2800-3000 rpm, boat just dies. When you try to restart, alarm is ringing, which shuts off when i turn key off. i let sit for about 10 min and starts right up. i can go all day as long as i stay under those rpms. have had 2nd mechanic look at it and they tell me they dont know. ignition system, fuel filter/lines, wiring....all checks good to them. have you heard of this problem before??
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** whom am I speaking with?
What is the model number on this engine? When did the problem start? How old is the fuel the engine is trying to burn?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im Joe. Model of engine is Volvo 190. S/N(###) ###-#### ***** has been used only 2-3 times each summer for the last 4 yrs. I just bought boat. It only had about a 1/4 tank of gas so I filled up at the marina. It still does the same thing. im sure it has gas from last year, but we have burned thru that as I said, if you stay under 2800-3000 rpm, you can use the boat. Thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joe, with Volvo's I need the actual model number, not the serial number.
I will wait for the model number. But for now what it sounds like is that the engine is starving for fuel. There are a couple of tests that need to be done but the first on is to run the engine off of another fuel supply. By that I mean a portable tank, typically outboard style. That will determine as to wether or not there is a problem with the engine, or the boats fuel supply. Is that something you think you can do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I'm on the road (job) anyways, just wondering if you were familiar with this problem and could give me a few things to check. Thanks for your time. You can keep the 26.00 charge but I do not want any monthly direct bill .
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The engine needs 3 things to run, compression, timed spark ignition and fuel. Fuel problems in boats in general outweigh electrical/ignition problems 5 to 1. It only takes 5 minutes to unscrew the distributor cap to check for corrosion and burning on the inside of the cap and rotor, and that definitely should not be overlooked. But in most cases it is a lack of fuel to the engine is why it will only build up so many rpms and then die. When I troubleshoot them I run the engines off a portable fuel tank in order to test that theory. If the engine does in fact run better then what I look for on the boats side is clogged fuel tank vents, and I look to see if the fuel tank has an antisiphon valve and if that antisiphon is clogged. If you locate were the fuel line connects to the fuel tank, sometimes those hose barbs have check valves inside of them. The ones that do are not called hose barbs, but instead antisiphon valves, and those check valves clog all of the time.
If running on the portable fuel tank makes no difference then I look at the engines filters, and possibly the engines fuel pump.
I do want to make sure you are happy with the service I am providing to you before you go. Did you have any other questions on the engine or do you think that covers it? (On a side note I don't have any control over billing, but once we are all set here and have all of your questions answered I will send this to customer service to make sure you are not on the subscription plan)
-Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome and I was glad I could help.
Just incase you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you can not see the ratings box, please reply back "I rate Jasons service as _______" and fill the blank with whatever you deem most appropriate. Questions do not lose out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating. Tips are always greatly appreciated.
If I do not hear back from you I thank you in advance and good luck!
Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Just checking in. Any luck?