Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2013 50 HP E-Tec that showed a low oil warning. After

Customer Question

I have a 2013 50 HP E-Tec that showed a low oil warning. After adding oil the engine will not advance beyond fast idle. How do I reset the engine?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** whom am I speaking with?
Was the error "low oil" or was it "no oil", it makes a difference so please be sure.
How long did you run it for after adding oil to the tank, just a minute, or 4 or 5 minutes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** had a low oil warning and It has been run in excess of ten minutes since oil was added.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Willard. Are you running XD30 oil, 50, or the XD 100?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
XD50
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The system is self reseting after the engines computer counts 3 pulses from the oil pump. It might take a bit more than 10 minutes of run time for that to actually happen. Can you go run it for another 15 to 20 minutes and let me know if it resets or not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I can. How do I get back to you?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You can reply back here at any time. You get emails every time I reply directing you back to the website. Just make sure you come back to the website, and do not hit reply to any emails you may get.
Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason, I stand corrected on what happened. The NO OIL light was on, oil added and the light went out. Willard
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Got it. Do you have a decent quality volt/ohm meter and do you know how to take resistance measurments?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Someone here may have that, what would be next?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
With the engine off. Disconnect the oil pumps electrical wire and then measure the resistance between the 2 wires that run into the oil pump.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I will need to take the engine to a Johnson dealer.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You might.... Everything is computer controlled on the engine and there is only so much you can do with a handheld voltmeter. On the resistance test your looking for right around 22 ohms ballpark. If you didn't get that, then the oil pump would clearly be bad. But if you to get that then you have to keep looking elsewhere which requires the diagnostic laptop. Does that make sense?