Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

2008 V8 I/O. Took batteries out winter. Upon installation

Customer Question

2008 V8 I/O. Took batteries out for the winter. Upon installation I put a positive line on a negative pole for just a second. When I installed correctly I'm getting one electrical output anywhere. I checked all fuses and only had a 5 watt blown. The 50 amp breaker button looks like it is out, but it does not move in or out when I try to move it. I have a two battery switch installed and get no juice when I turn on the key. No dash lights or gauges. No juice to the starter.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.
I replace about 50 of these a year and I know exactly what the issue is. What is blown here is the main engine fuse. The main fuse is mounted to the engines starter solenoid. Which is as you face the front of the engine, down on the lower left rear, under the left hand manifold. These fuses are specifically designed to blow in case of accidental battery reversal, and they will blow every time. Before Mercury started installing this fuse, if batteries were hooked up backwards the alternators would smoke, and most of them would catch on fire as well. This fuse will blow every time the battery cables are reversed, it is designed to. What you need to do is replace this main 90 amp fuse on the starter solenoid to get your power back.
Click this link, this is a wiring diagram showing it; It is letter "h" in the picture
http://i.imgur.com/q9rbvfa.png
Click this link, this is what the fuse actually looks like;
http://i.imgur.com/4rRQfq2.jpg
And click this link, this is what it looks like on the starter;
http://i.imgur.com/xdarqH7.jpg
The part number on the fuse is 88-79023A91. Mercury dealers stock these by the dozen. They run around 28 bucks. If you are going to DIY this, just make sure you disconnect the battery first so that you do not short anything down by the starter when removing and installing this fuse.
On a side note - If you are asking yourself how I got your answer so quickly, I have the part numbers and pictures ready to go. I answer this question fairly often. And no I am definitely not a robot :)
I do want to make sure you are happy with the service I am providing to you before you go. Did you have any other questions on the engine or do you think that covers it?
--Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sounds like what I need. Thanks I'll check it out tomorrow.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
That is definitely what you need. No questions. I couldn't tell you how many of these I do a year. The only other thing is the breaker might have also tripped at the same time. So when you install a new fuse in it, if the power doesn't return right away just reset the breaker again.
Just incase you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you can not see the ratings box, please reply back "I rate Jasons service as _______" and fill the blank with whatever you deem most appropriate. Questions do not lose out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating. Tips are always greatly appreciated.
If I do not hear back from you I thank you in advance and good luck!
Jason