Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

My 1996 Wellcraft 210 coastal runs great , but I have no power

Customer Question

My 1996 Wellcraft 210 coastal runs great , but I have no power to my accessory panel, GPS or VHF.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
When this happens it is usually a loose/bad/poor connection, this can include loose wiring/connections, dirty such as salt/dirt/corrosion, and things like wires that are severed and at times have just enough to pass power through them. This can also include the fuse holder, any master power switch including the switch itself and any wiring from the battery all the way to the panel, this includes grounds as well. Since nothing works you know it's a shared circuit meaning the main ground and or main power for the panel. This can also be from a bad breaker.
You will need a voltmeter to trace the wiring during the problem, you can try wiggling wires when the meter is connected to also locate the problem. One problem area is ground buss bars and buss/connection bars in general with poor connections on them and rust/corrosion.
I see you mentioned 40amp ground, possibly you meant the 40amp fuse and the ground otherwise please note that fuses are on the power side, not the ground side in most cases, ground fused circuits are rare.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.