Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 40 hp, 2-stroke (Enduro model). Suddenly it won't

Customer Question

I have a 40 hp, 2-stroke (Enduro model). Suddenly it won't shift. Took cables off to see if it was the cables or the shifter. Unable to move the shift lever by hand into either FWD or REV. Cables are fine. And it shifted into FWD and REV the last time I used the boat a couple of weeks ago. No clue. Hope you can help.
Signed Clueless
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be helping you. Check the gear lube in the lower unit. What does the lube look like? Remove the bottom drain plug to get a sample of the lube. Can you please post the complete engine model number please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in fact going to check the lower unit lube this afternoon. I'll tell you after that what I see.
The engine model numbers are: Yamaha E40GMH
6F6K L(###) ###-####N.
Sorry not sure of engine age. It is a Yamaha Enduro 2-Stroke engine.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me know what you find. I suspect a lower unit issue. The linkage typically starts giving problems before being completely unable to shift. The only thing that would cause complete loss of shift with linkage would be something broken.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll let you know what I find out later today. Thanks.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok