Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

There, I have a question : Have 855 marine diesel

Customer Question

Hi there,
I have a question for you: Have 855 marine diesel in commercial fishing vessel with approx 15000 hrs have experienced secondary oil filter coming off from assembly twice after first time we replaced the assembly thinking there may be a problem but a few days ago the secondary oil filter partly came off enough to allow old to pump out of the main engine and set off oil alarm. Luckily happended while engine was in idle and engine was turned off before major problem. Can you suggest how to troubleshoot as to why secondary oil filter may have come off? I can tell you it was professional put on by a very experienced Engineer prior to the vessel sailing. I have 5 other commerical vessels and have never experienced it before. Look forward to your suggestions. Thanks Brett
Category: Boat
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is Kerry
I haven't heard of this being a chronic problem on any engine, did it come loose when it was on good and tight?
This can happen if it just isn't tight enough.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kerryyes it came loose after it was good and tight it appears it may be due to excess pressure we are thinking from the breather have you any ideas what we should look at ??
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 1 year ago.
The breather is against the oil filter?
Anyway, I thought it just might have not been tightened enough.
If I find out, I'll pop back in but I'm going to opt out in case someone else knows about this problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
o.k thanks it is very unusual a I said haven't experienced this before in over 20 years owning commercial fishing vesselscheersBrett
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 1 year ago.
Me either, in 25 years working as a mechanic.
That's why I opted out, in my experience, they stay on if they're tight enough and you don't need to put on all that tight.
Is there anything against or near the filter that could tap it loose with engine vibration?