Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

2005 sea doo utopia with mercury , battery was left on, came

Customer Question

2005 sea doo utopia with mercury , battery was left on, came back couldn't jump, bought new battery but turn key and only beep indicating safety lanyard is on......key was spinning so tightened ignition switch, ,,turn key nothing, no clicking , battery is new and powers up boat
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.

Would you please post the serial number of the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's the optimax 240 efi m2 mecury m2 jet drive

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Opti or EFI, they are different.

The serial number would be on the flywheel cover.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

240 efi mercury -- 2005 utopia 205,....couldn't find serial number.....suspect maybe ignition switch....i dont hear anything priming when i turn key....the switch was"spinning" until i tightened it, thinking maybe one of the wire?

everything started after the battery died when i left it on, couldnt jump assumed battery, replaced battery same. kind of coincidence if its something else.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Craig,
Do the gauges power up when you turn the key on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes everything powers up....I jumped the solenoid, verified voltage at the input when I jump across the engine cranks, didn't start but when turning key I get nothing. Nit sure if engine should hold start when I jump

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok got engine running by jumping solenoid, assume it's the solenoid then.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
With a multimeter, test the voltage going to the small yellow/red wire on the starter solenoid while cranking. If you get 12V, it is the solenoid, it you do not get any voltage, it is the key switch.