Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have a Yamaha 150Vmax outboard V150TLRB and the power trim

Customer Question

I have a Yamaha 150Vmax outboard V150TLRB and the power trim wont lift the motor. I had a leak fixed end of last season, so checked to see if it was low on fluid again, and it wasnt. The problem I had last year was there is a nut that was leaking just to the left of the fill from corrosion, the shop drilled out and re-tapped the hole to put a larger cap screw in, and it looks like it worked, as there was no leakage. So now the unit was full, the electric motor runs both directions, barely moving the Pistons will not nearly enough power to lift the motor. Im wondering if he mechanic let the filings from drilling and tapping fall into the unit? Anway how do I troubleshoot what part inside the unit might need to be replaced?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
As soon as you mentioned drilled and tapped the first thing I thought of is I hope they didn't let the shaving go into the unit and stay in it, then finishing reading you mentioned just that. That is one thing I would first check. next try tapping on the side of the valve body as sometimes a valve will stick, make sure there is no trapped air. It may very well need torn down to locate the problem such as a seal/bypassing and or damage such as from shavings or other non related damage as well. One thing of many to check is the internal relief valve. I would also use the manual valve and lift motor turning again and see if it holds where you lifted to, if it drops all the way back down pending valve is tight not in release mode then it is bypassing internally. Here is a breakdown: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Outboard/2003/V150TLRB/POWER%20TRIM%20TILT%20ASSY%202/parts.html
You would also want to check the motor and make sure it is not weak causing the problem.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Strange... I removed the entire unit, cleaned it and bled the heck out of it, took about 15 min before the bubbles stopped..
My intention was to have a clean slate to see where it may be leaking. Since then its operated without any issues.
I haven't had time to put it through its paces, but plan to this weekend before I put it back in..
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
One of the things I mentioned was trapped air and yes it can happen to a point it's not as visible as the problem. In some cases some are hard to bleed all the air from them.
I have a feeling that you will not have any further problems in terms of this problem. Glad it was an easy enough fix.
Thanks again,
Joe