Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

My motor will not run past 3500 rpm the motor blogs down I

Customer Question

My motor will not run past 3500 rpm the motor blogs down I put new spark plugs and a new gas filter in it. it runs about 40 mph on a 2008 stratos fs boat.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** whom am I speaking with?

What is the model number on the engine? How old is the fuel in the tank? When did it last make full power?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just purchased the boat, I don't know How old the gas was in it. It would not run very good at all but over time it stated to run better as it it used the gas that was in it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It never did reach full power. I don't know the model number its a 2008 Yamaha vmax
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Do you know what the model number is ***** the engine? All you said was a 2008 150. I need to know if it is a 2 stroke or 4 stroke, injected or direct injected/HPDI
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's a two stroke , I don't know if its injected of direct injected
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ITS A 2007 V150
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
V150TLR
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I'm still here. Sorry, helping lots of people at once.
Given that you don't have any history on it to troubleshoot it, it needs the works. Compression test, spark test, fuel pressure test while underway, running it off of another fuel source. I don't know what you have for tools or abilities so I will ask you what I ask everybody. What is it you are looking to do, and how can I best be of help to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was just asking if you had any idea what the problem may be?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Bad gas would do it.... But so would a blown piston, or a lack of spark, or a clogged fuel system. I have seen every conceivable scenario there is at one point or another. That's why I had said it does need troubleshooting to figure out what it might be. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I could not help. Good luck!