Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have a 1998 Kawasaki 750 stx jet ski and it is very slow

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Kawasaki 750 stx jet ski and it is very slow on tack off then after about a minute it rides fine but each time you stop then take off again the same thing it takes a minute to speed up even with full throttle or even half throttle ive already changed the spark plug and that didn't help any
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
The first thing to check is that during the problem is the problem only movement or also rpms? If rpms go high as they should rev ie wide open throttle but lack of speed, this indicates cavitation issues such as air being sucked into the pump and or water bypassing the impeller (impeller to pump wall) such as a damaged impeller or pump housing.
However, if the rpms are also low during this problem then you know there is a running condition problem. With this you should start by checking compression, no misfires and good spark which most likely are good and not very likely, fuel problems are likely such as needing to rebuild the carbs (thus being only an low speed/take off issue).
This is just to start, there are other things it could be that I can have you check after the above as well.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.