Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Have an older style omc controller the trim switch is stuck in the down position, how does

Customer Question

have an older style omc controller the trim switch is stuck in the down position, how does the handle come apart to replace switch, I disassembled the controller but i still can,t get the plastic shift lever off
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Whom am I speaking with?
Can you post a couple of pictures of your controller, there are quite a few different styles of those and I would have to see exactly what you have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Added pictures. Trying to get to trim switch on handle
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Got the pictures. I have to try and narrow this down. What year do you think the boat is, or the engine is, that these controls belong to?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2000
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be helping you. Where you removed the alllen head screw put the screw back in turn the screw in the threads about 5 turns. Then use a punch to hit the screw real hard this will pop the handle off. Post back if that doesn't work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
great , will try it tonight
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
On the screw just so it doesn't damage the threads run the screw all the way in then back it out 4 turns. The control handle is a taper fit in to the shifter so it takes just a little help popping it loose. Thank you.........Tan