Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I had my boat, a 2003 Bayliner Cierra 2455 SB, in the water

Customer Question

I had my boat, a 2003 Bayliner Cierra 2455 SB, in the water for the first time the other day. Bought it used but it was checked out by a mechanic. Since I was in the harbor moving the boat into its slip, I was at slow speed the whole time (no wake zone all the way). It handled like an ox -- kind of like driving a power steering car when it's out of fluid. I don't know whether this is just slow speed wander, evidentially normal for large single-prop boats at slow speeds, or whether something is wrong with the steering and I need to call a mechanic?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
What engine do you have in the boat?
When looking at the engine, do you see a power steering pump like what you would see on a car engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a 5.0 L, 200 HP Mercruiser Inboard/Outboard. Regrettably, I would not know a power steering pump -- on a car or on a boat -- if it stepped up and shook my hand
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Luckily I do know what it looks like and can guide you thru how to check it.
Looks just like this, but with a pulley on the end if that shaft.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Steering-Pump-Mercruiser-Volvo-Sierra-18-7508-16792A39-3863130-3888323-OMC-/181461367965?hash=item2a3ff0bc9d&vxp=mtr
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check today and get back to you. Thanks
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
While you are there, remove the cap from it, if you have one, and make sure that the oil level is full.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could not find the device you asked about. However, I reviewed the owners manuals, and they said it is power steering and that you are supposed to check the fluid level every time you start the boat. It said the place you check is in the cockpit, just below the ignition switch. I checked for that and couldn't find it either. I also had trouble starting the boat at all tonight. I hope to go back up this weekend. Meanwhile, I'll see if I can send you a PDF of the pertinent section of the manual if that would be helpful.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. Let me know.