Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2001 evinrude ficht ram 150 and runs fine until under

Customer Question

I have a 2001 evinrude ficht ram 150 and runs fine until under a load then bogs down and ideas
Category: Boat
Expert:  Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
Condition could be due to a failed high pressure side pump, circuit or even ECU.
* When you turn the key on listen for the faint sound of the pressure pump. It should run for about 10 secs each time the key is cycled on. Do you hear it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes i hear the pump come on right after the key is turned and all the engine checks come back fine
ok, I don't suspect you have access to the required fuel pressure test equipment so lets check a few other things that need to be ruled out first.
1. When was the last time the engine ran well with no issues?
2. How old is the fuel in the tank? Last years or older?
3. Get a timing light and connect the pickup to each spark plug lead one at a time while the engine is running. Do you have steady flash on all 6?
4. Then connect the timing light pickup to each injector primary lead one at a time and watch for steady flashing while the engine is running. It should look just like the flash of a good ignition coil output. IMPORTANT - to be able to read the injector primary input with a timing light connect the pickup to only one of the two wire going to each inj. It doesn't matter which one so long as you dont capture both within the jaws of the pickup.
Let me know what you see after you do these checks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok ill get back to you on that thanks and the fuel is new about 3 months old the tabk was emptied and new fuel placed in the tank. the engine ran good last year from what i was told i just bought it a few months back and had the trouble right away first time taking it out
sounds good. let me know once youve had a look at it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will do thanks ill have time thursday
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok i have checked fuel there is good fuel going into the fuel pump there is a fuel filter on the pump i changed it and still bogs down under a load the engine tries to get up and run but starts reving up and down.. i checked the spark plug wires they all have a steady flash but was unable to check the injectors the tester was not working for the injector wires
on top of the vapor separator assembly (VST) there is a plastic nipple with a small diameter black hose running from it (vent hose). Follow this hose to where it connects at the intake manifold and remove it from the fitting. Start tyhe engine. If there is wet fuel visible in this hose the VST needle and seat is bad and is dumping fuel causing the engine to surge and not run well.