Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have an Evinrude motor that when I raise the engine, once

Customer Question

I have an Evinrude motor that when I raise the engine, once it hits the top, it goes back down by itself and the lift motor keeps running even when it is down all the way
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.
What is the model number on the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, it is a Yamaha 150 Saltwater Series II
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Do you have an actual model number on the engine? Yamaha has been using that saltwater series tag for a decade or so, covering dozens of different models.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that inside the cover??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
S150TXRWX The hydraulic lift motor is in the bilge. Do you need info on that too??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello??
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
What year is this engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know for sure
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Is it "newer", Say within the last 10 years or so?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I would say around 10 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
or more
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Gotcha, Now when did this problem start? Did the outboard hit anything when running, anything from hitting the bottom to hitting something floating in the water?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it was not running for a long time, about a year. I cleaned it up, replaced the battery, and the lift it seemed to work Ok. The next time I went to start it is when the problem occured.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Gotcha, now what is it you are looking to do here? There are all sorts of hydraulic gauges required in order to find out why it leaks down, and you won't have any of that. Are you looking for the most common causes without the gauges or did you have some other kind of question about it?
Also, what is this item in the bilge you are referring to? The trim pump is mounted to the engine between the clamp brackets. If you are not sure snap a picture of it for me.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
It looks like you read my response and logged off. Did you try to send a reply back, as I did not receive once.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does not seem to be having the problem today. Motor goes up and down Ok. It starts, but then only run a little while and stops. Do you think the gas is no good? I ran it about 20 minutes a month ago, but have run it since and before that it did not get gas or run for a year.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent a picture of the unit in the bile
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
That pump in the picture is a freshwater fill pump for something like a livewell or a wash down station. It is not part of the trim system.
Did the engine start back up after it stops? how old is the gas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it restarts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gas has to be over a year old
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Oh gheeze the gas is definitely no good. outboards are very picky about fuel quality. Gas goes bad 3 months after the day it is refined, not the ay you buy it. It can easily be a month or 2 old when you buy it. If you add stabilizer that can stretch it to 6 months tops, but after that even a lawnmower would not run correctly. The gas in the tank definitely is no good, and needs to be pumped out.
I do want to make sure you are happy with the service I am providing to you before you go. Did you have any other questions on the engine or do you think that covers it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should be good thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome and I was glad I could help.
Just incase you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you can not see the ratings box, please reply back "I rate Jasons service as _______" and fill the blank with whatever you deem most appropriate. Questions do not lose out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating
If I do not hear back from you I thank you in advance and good luck!
Jason