Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I put my '89 bay liner w/ 4.3L in yesterday, started it up and ran great. Ran it

Customer Question

Hi, I put my '89 bay liner w/ 4.3L in yesterday, started it up and ran great. Ran it for 10-15 minutes, then went to full throttle and it died. After coasting to a stop, tried starting and it fired right up. So I ran around a little more and no issues. But I didn't open it up again. Went out later again, and this time about 3/4 throttle it dies. It started and now I'm trying to get back to the dock. It stalled again, and then again and finally wouldn't start. Temp gage said 145-ish I think. It smelled like it was still getting gas. I got towed home and dumped 2 gallons of gas in, just to make sure. Now won't fire at all. Thoughts?
Usually if electrical, when it quits it quits...
Thanks, Lee
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lee, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Do you have any starting fluid to see if it will hit on that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, but I can get some easy enough. Hold please...
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Sure thing, let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I tried starter fluid, no firing going on.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Alright, there is an ignition system problem. Can I get the serial number on the engine, what will tell me which system you have. And do you have a voltmeter and do you know how to take basic votlage measuremnts?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can get the s/n but no voltmeter. Not my specialty.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Without a meter there isn't any thing we can troubleshoot. I can answer any questions you may have, but not sure what your looking to do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, looking for a voltmeter now
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Do you know how to use a voltmeter? It's not something I can teach you how to use.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A friend came over with a volt meter. We performed some simple checks and found a loose wire. I think we're good. Lee
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Ahhh Good. Glad to hear you got it.

Happy boating!

Jason