Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Starboard engine will start but runs a few seconds

Customer Question

Starboard engine will start but runs for only a few seconds then shuts down because the power to the "hold" half of the fuel solenoid isn't there. It's not the solenoid and it's not the oil pressure sensor. The buzzer for the oil pressure isn't working either, suggesting the problem was the oil pressure sensor, but I've successfully ruled that out. It's a 1999 Sundancer 46, with two Cummins 6CT engines, mechanical.
Any ideas?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. A bad keyswitch would cause that issue as well. Have you tried a new keyswitch, or swapped the working sides keyswitch over?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jason. Actually, I've not tried that but I will. I've already tried swapping the starting switches but not the key switches. I'm not hopeful, but you could well be correct. Thanks for the suggestion, and I'll get back to you once I know the outcome.
Have a great day and talk to you later.
Dale
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good Dale, let me know how you make out either way.
--Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Heading to the boat now to see if you're correct. If that's not it, where would you look next?
Thanks again, Jason.
Dale
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Each boat is kind of a unique installation. If it is not the keyswtich I would measure voltage at the stop solenoid to see if it is getting full voltage or if there is any kind of corrosion in the wiring. Let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already did that actually. The solenoid has two modes. One to open the valve against the strong spring then another to simply hopd the valve open. The first mode is working but not the second.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think corrosion is a factor here. I think I have a bad connection somewhere but I don't know how to find it. Your thoughts? I guess if I knew where the power to the oil pressure sensor was coming from then id know where to look. Might it be a last resort to bypass the sensor and buzzer?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Did you swap the keyswitch over yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yup tried that with no luck.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I'm out of ideas. I will opt out. Good luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks Jason.