Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Rinker 2003 342 fiesta vee model on the starboard side at the

Customer Question

rinker 2003 342 fiesta vee model on the starboard side at the back by the door there is the switch box for the batteries....when the switches are in the off position there is still power to the starboard engine, which will start, and port engine clicks but does not start...how do I start to find the problem as why these switches are in the off position but still power to the engines both engines should be complete dead with no power
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be helping you.Do you know for sure these are for the engines? Usually with on off switches they are for the on board accessories only not engines. Engine battery switches have 1, 2 both and off on their switches. Can you access the back of these switches?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

These are the engines as there is another switch for accessories Tan These engines battery switches have 3 ;positions on the dial one says ON, one says Emergency start, the other says off....as I said in the off position there is still power to the engines

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The switch you are referring to is just a parallel switch. If it were for the engines you would have 2 switches with 1,2 both and off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not so on this boat Tan there are two dials that work as I indicated previously...when in the off position they should be no power to the engines...yet there is

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Has it been this way since day one? Has anybody done any major wiring changes to the boat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have owned the boat from day one and no wiring changes that I am aware of...I just discovered this problem today after it was de-winterized and I went to start the engines....they were both in the off position on the dial and as I said one started and other clicked....they both should have been dead

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
I wouldn't even know where to start without looking at the wiring. This is wired this way from the factory or someone has changed something. To fix this someone will have to get in the boat and look at the wiring. I know how it should be wired but who knows how this one is wired. The clicking is either dead batteries a corroded connection or a bad start solenoid. I can help with this issue but not the rewiring of the batteries.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Batteries are fine and connections are not corroded as I checked all systems with battery tester....I will have to go to the Marina I assume as this is something that you cannot do viva the internet

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
I can trouble shoot the clicking but I cannot do the switches. Why would you want to rewire the batt switches? It has been this way for 12 years and obviously it hasn't been an issue as you just found out the switches are wired this way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not want to rewire the batt switches but there is something wrong with the way it is....I has been an issue but a unknown one as in the winter the dials are turned to off but there is still power to them...as for the clicking that has to do with the dials let some power to the port engine in the stop dial position.....you tried but no real good answer this way need to be hands on at the marina

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
This will be an expensive fix. They will have to change the factory wiring. You said no one has changed anything. So how did it change. The clicking has nothing to do with the switches unl;ess you have 2 bad battery switches. Good luck.