Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Changed impeller on 28 johnson. Wont shift into forawrd gear..Dropped

Customer Question

Changed impeller on 28 johnson. Wont shift into forawrd gear..Dropped lower end, put everything into forward, reconnected linkage, same problem
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be assisting you. Could I get the engine model number please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
J28eslesm
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Did you by chance remove the pivot screw? # *****? When you had the gearcase off and shifted everything into forward did you verify the prop locked in forward? http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1990/J28ESLESM/GEARCASE/parts.html
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pivot screw. Is that where the upper linkage hooks up with the lower. The prop locks into forward with likage dicnnocted but difficult
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just checked on pivot screw. No i didnt
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Are you sure you got the screws in the connector # ***** in the notch of the shift rod # *****?
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1990/J28ESLESM/GEARCASE/parts.html
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes sir it is. Ive replaced the screw and triple checked it. On my above statement i didnt mean linkage, i meant cable. I can shift into forward at the actuator but it wont stay in and is difficult
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok do this disconnect the cable and check that the lower unit shift correctly. We have to be sure we don't have a lower unit issue. Then I need you to shift the engine into forward gear check that the prop is locked in gear. Now shift the control into forward gear. Now install the shift cable. If the cable doesn't line turn the cable adjust knob so it will line up. Now check shift does it work correctly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
With the cable disconnected i can shift into forward but it wants to ease out. Neutral and reverse are fine. When i put lever into forward and reattached cable samething. Im out of cable ajustment. Only stays in gear when pressure is applied to shift lever on motor
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Did the shift work ok before you did the water pump?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No problems at all. Took it out on the delta in march and it ran great, covered alot water in two days. Changed the impeller because i figured it was time. Problem didnt arise until i put it back together.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Did you take any of the bottom part of the lower unit apart?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can only assume its something that ive done
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Only the pump housing and impeller
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Now you absolutely sure you didn't remove the pin. The pin gets confused with the drain plug all the time. It's the only thing that you could have done causing the exact issue you are having.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ill dble check, but when i changed the impeller i replaced part number 44 and 45 upper and lower
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok then you didn't remove the pin don't remove the pin. Have you reassembled everything and put it in the water and tested it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is the pivot pin closest to the prop or is the drain
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Closest to the drain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its all reassemble
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
How are you determining it is not staying in gear?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Only tested in garbage can full of water
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Did you ever check the shift before you did the water pump in the garbage can?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Prop wont spin in forard unless pressure is applied
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
There is nothing you did that could have changed the way the engine shifts. Your sure the connect screw is in the notch on the top and bottom shift rod.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes sir. The cover is off and i can see it go up and down when i shift
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Yes but are the screws in the notch. There is a notch that the screws fit into on the shaft. I have seen them miss and only catch part of the connector.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im leaning on that. The part or the connector i dis connected seems to be showing part of the notch, any tips on getting it seated
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Completely remove the screw from the connector then with a pair of needle nose pliers pull up on the lower shift rod and shift towards reverse with the shift lever. This will push the connector down on the bottom shift rod. Then tighten the screw. If you removed the screw from the top of the connector do the same with that screw.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Did that work?
Please keep me posted.