Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Having a problem with a new Tohatsu 9.8 4-stroke. It will not

Customer Question

Having a problem with a new Tohatsu 9.8 4-stroke. It will not run without pushing the choke all the time. When it almost dies, I can keep it alive by pushing the choke. Also when I try to increase speed, I need to first push the choke and then push the throttle lever. If I don't push the choke it will die when I increase speed. See my videos below. I'm sure you can tell what's wrong with this new engine.
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=3fc1dc4a4998a091&id=3FC1DC4A4998A091%214032&Bsrc=Share&Bpub=SDX.SkyDrive&sc=Photos&authkey=!AlFWE375edk1KCk
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.

What you have there is a varnished carb. It will need to be removed, taken apart and then cleaned. While the motor was sitting in the box waiting to be sold, all of the fuel that was in the carb after the factory testing evaporated out leaving behind a varnish and this is plugging up some of the hole inside the float bowl.