Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a brand new never been in the water 4 stroke 90hp mercury

Customer Question

I have a brand new never been in the water 4 stroke 90hp mercury outboard. I just had sea legs put on the pontoon, brought it home and have had the experience of the trim tilting the motor up all by itself with no key in the ignition and no one pressing any of the control buttons.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello.There are a couple of things that will cause this shorted trim switches or a shorting relay. Disconnect the trim switches one at a time till the trim quits working. I know you have at least 2 switches the switch on the control and the switch in the motor pan. The trim switch on the control plugs in under the dash. The switch on the motor pan plugs in behind the switch. You will have 3 wires to each switch disconnect the red wire. Post back with findings.