Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a Volvo 5.0 with an SX-M1 drive. It seems when I Shift

Customer Question

I have a Volvo 5.0 with an SX-M1 drive. It seems when I Shift from Neutral to Forward the RPMs will climb but the drive wont engage immediately.When it does there's a clunk. Neutral to reverse works perfect. The problem is sporatic but getting worse. I have had my mechanic check the cable adjustment and replace the synthetic oil in the leg. Could this be a cable problem? He tells me it may be a shifting cone problem. I don't want to dig around if I don't have to. Any thoughts?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. In a nutshell what you do is disconnect the shift cable from the sterndrive and shift if by hand. If there is no delay, the shift cable is worn out. If there is a delay, the clutch in the sterndrive is worn out. Does that make sense?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I was hoping you would reply back but it looks like you read my response and logged off. Did you try to send a reply back, as I did not receive one.
I do want to make sure you are happy with the service I am providing to you before you go. Did you have any other questions on the engine or do you think that covers it?