Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a Yamaha 150 outboard, fuel injected, think it is a

Customer Question

I have a Yamaha 150 outboard, fuel injected, think it is a 2004...starts great, runs great in neutral, can rev up to high RPMs in neutral, but out on the water once we try to go above 2000rpms it drops back to idle...this came on suddenly
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. I read what you wrote. Whatever the issue is, it is to take some diagnostics in order to figure out what the issue is. What kinds of questions did you have about it, and what were you looking to do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well obviously I am trying to fix it myself

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
What is the model number on the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think this is it:sx150txrb

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
After it goes from 2000 rpms back to idle. If you give it 30 seconds and try to throttle it up again, will it attempt to gain any rpms back?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
And does it just do the same thing over and over?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like the engine is starving for fuel which can happen for a number of different reasons. Have you tried pumping the primer bulb over and over and over to see if it will pick up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no, I will try now

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Okay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So we took it out and tried pumping the bulb and no joy. Almost seems like not shifting gears
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Can you elaborate what you mean by not shifting gears?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

It looks like you read my repsonse and logged off. Did you try to send a reply back as I did not recieve one. If this is something you prefer to do on the phone instead of online I can do that for an additional fee. Just let me know.

-Jason