Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I a have a Volvo penta 5.0 gxi-e that is not pushing water

Customer Question

I a have a Volvo penta 5.0 gxi-e that is not pushing water out the exhaust. I have replaced raw water impeller and thermostat. What should I try next ??
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be assisting you. Is the engine over heating?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes engine is overheating at idle after ten minutes
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
If you remove the discharge hose from the water pump is it pumping water?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After removing hoses from manifold and hooking up hose, I had small flow before I turned in engine. After engine was turned on, I had a increased in flow , but not what I expected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine ran fine last year before winterization. First time fired up this year it overheated.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can try that in the morning. If I have a limited flow. Would you suggest replacing the raw water pump ?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Yes these pumps don't always work when you replace just the impeller. If the pump housing has any wear it won't pump good water.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I will try the test in the morning and probably replace the pump just to be safe
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
I have run into this many times on these pumps so I just replace the entire pump now. If you have the old style pump with the black plastic hose connections on the pump it is a must to replace the pump. The new pumps are all brass. Thank you.........Tan Post back if you need further assistance.