Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have two question. I have a 1996 225 evinrude that starts

Customer Question

I have two question. I have a 1996 225 evinrude that starts up great Idols goods but when I gas on it to get it up on plan The check Engine alarm comes on then turns off but the light stays on. Boat still run good but if I get the rmp's up around 3800 while running the boat starts to surging and slowing me down????
Next was wondering if it's ok that motor sill pisses water after I kill motor! Will piss for like 2 mins
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be assisting you. The alarm is a fuel restriction alarm. This alarm will only come on when you throttle up hard and running at high rpms. Do this when the engine alarm comes on squeeze the primer bulb does the alarm go off? The surging is also indicative of a fuel starvation or fuel restriction. The other test you can do is run the engine on another fuel source like an auxiliary fuel tank.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The tell tale still flowing water is normal after shut down. That's just the water in the engine draining down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well just the other day my friend took it out said he couldn't get it on plan. He said he primed the bulb and he could get it up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I need a file pump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Boat ran great last year! I change the bulb and inline filter and that's when It started
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bulbs going the right way too! But filter is different from the one that was in it
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Not necessarily. If you have blockage in the fuel system it will do the same thing. Running the engine on the other fuel source will eliminate any fuel restriction. If the engine still does the same thing on the other fuel source then you have a fuel pump problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I run it on another system
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Disconnect the fuel line coming from the fuel tank at the primer bulb. Now get a gas can and a length of hose connect the hose to the primer bulb and stick the other end of the hose in the gas can. Secure the gas can run the boat. Post back with findings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So it could be in my tank
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Correct. The tank over time will get debris collected in the tank. On the end of the pick up tube is a screen filter this filter will become restricted with the debris in the tank causing you issue. It could also be the anti- siphon valve or clogged fuel vent line. Old fuel lines can cause a restriction also due to the deterioration of the fuel line.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u so much will let u know how it turns out. But it's a easy fix to change the filter on the end of line?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The tube that goes down into the fuel tank can be hard to get to on some boats. The tube has to be unscrewed from the top of the fuel tank and have enough room till pull the long tube out of the tank. So lets do the test first to be sure the tank is or isn't the problem.