Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

As soon as I throw the deadman switch on my boat the trim motor

Customer Question

As soon as I throw the deadman switch on my boat the trim motor starts running it is a 1995 75 hp. However the motor doesn't go up or down. I tried moving the switches at motor and at the throttle
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be assisting you. You have either a shorting trim switch or a stuck relay. We need to disconnect each trim switch. Does the trim quit? If no that leaves the trim relays as the problem. What position is the motor in now up or down?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to go to the boat and disconnect switches the motor is in the storage position for hauling. How do I disconnect the throttle switch?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The throttle switch is connected just outside the control. So you have to get the the back side of the control to unplug the switch. The wire on the trim switch is about 3 feet long so it will be close to the control behind the panel. Post back with findings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The switch in the throttle handle is the bad one can they be replace or do you have to buy and whole new lever?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The switch can be replaced. Do you know the model of your control. Is it the Commander 3000 or 2000?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Here is the link to the Commander 2000 control. http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury-marine-accessory-parts/remote-controls-and-components/1994-up/commander-2000-remote-control-16900-series
Here is the Commander 3000 control. http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury-marine-accessory-parts/remote-controls-and-components/1994-up/commander-3000-classic-827270a-1-a11
If you don't have either of these controls post back with the info or a pic of the control so I can identify the control.