Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I recently bought a Lowe boat with a bow-mounted Minn Kota

Customer Question

I recently bought a Lowe boat with a bow-mounted Minn Kota trolling motor, a 40-lb thrust all-terrain model. I had the boat out for the first time yesterday, and the trolling motor was working perfectly UNTIL it suddenly shut down. I checked the connections (new Interstate battery) and everything was tight. Did I blow a fuse? If so, where might it be located?
(No manual.)
Related question: there's an on/off switch on the foot controls. What are the "mom" and the "con" designations on the switch?
I'd appreciate hearing any suggestions/ideas you might have.
Mike Rice
Pawnee City, NE
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello Mike, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
There will be a 40 or 50A fuse/breaker located near the battery in the red wire. Start there, if it is good, you will need a multimeter to continue testing the system.
Another thing that you can do is to remove the prop, then remove the lower mount bolt for the engine. Only remove the lower one. you will then inspect it for any signs of water/rust or a burnt smell. If you find that, the motor will need to be opened up and inspected.
Please let me know what you find out.