Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a rebuilt 1986 25hp evenrude electric start outboard

Customer Question

I have a rebuilt 1986 25hp evenrude electric start outboard only 10hr turn the key and nothing
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be assisting you. Did you check the fuse on the engine?Do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To be honest I've never had a boat this is first one. If your talking about the fuse that's on the outside of the wiring leading from remote to engine it looks a bit rusty and a Friend was testing it with a battery to see if it was locked up. And I saw a bit of smoke on the other side of motor just opposite the starter. From a square with wires coming out of it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He hooked the battery directly to the battery and motor did turn but he stopped when we saw the smoke
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok we need to locate the start solenoid on the engine. Now on the start solenoid where the battery cable connects there is an inline fuse holder. Pull that holder apart is the fuse good? Are all your battery cable connections clean and tight on the engine and the battery. Is the engine in neutral? Do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i dont have a volt meter. And when a charge is connected to the starter the starter shaft ingages the fly wheel. Just nothing when key is turned. A macanic took a look and said he got it started by bypassing the key said i needed a new ignition switch so put the new one on and still nothing for me lol
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok did you look for the fuse on the start solenoid? The fuse is power supply to the key switch. The fuse is most likely blown if you saw smoke something was hooked up wrong or you have more issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I'm not actually outside with the boat but the only fuse I have seen is the one that runs along the wire harness between remote control and engine. But as I stated before that fuse is not blown but ends are rusted. What is the small box with wires on the opposite side of engine? It's a small rectangle with a clear circle in the center full of what looks to be some kind of sealant wires are coming out of the top
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And please be patient I'm so not a boat motor guy but can't afford to pay a mechanic to just keep trying things until he says it's fixed. I'm on disability from PTSD hence cost is a factor
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem.That the power pack. We are interested in the start solenoid. Just follow the positive battery cable to the engine it connects to the solenoid. There is a fuse on the same terminal where the battery cable connects.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great now I'm on the same page. Sorry. Can I check it out in the am and get back to you? I joined the service on this site so have access to it now. Will you be able to work with me for awhile or just for this session?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Tomorrow is fine.I can work with you on this subject. When we move away from the start issue then you have to open another question. Here is a pic of the fuse holder. The red arrow is the fuse and the white arrow is the start solenoid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your help. This is my only means of outdoor activities for now and I'm grateful for your assistance Tan. I'll check out the things you've suggested and get back tomorrow
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'm on at 8am PST.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm in Wilmington NC so not sure if time difference is an issue for you. But will jump back on tomorrow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good night sir
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok I won't be on till 11 am your time.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Same to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Tan I did find the fuse you told me to locate it is intact. I'm not in a position at this moment to run back and fourth checking things as we talk. Am I able to get the next bit of information or item to check and when I've been able to check let you know what I've found. Also maybe you know of a video site I can go to, So I might watch what you are telling me so to speak. Not a video of you but someone showing the procedure you are asking me to try.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way when I said battery to battery sorry I mentioned battery to starter. Lol wow lol
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ugh I dislike auto correct a great deal.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Go to the start solenoid. Locate the yellow/red wire # ***** jump 12 volts to that terminal #3 does the engine crank? If engine cranks we need to check voltage at the key switch terminal # ***** If you have voltage turn key to crank position test for voltage # ***** If voltage go to A and check fore voltage on bth terminals. Do you have voltage? The neutral safety switch is located in the control box with the shift. Click on this link to see diagram.http://i.imgur.com/8QXDtiD.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks will give this try and let you know what I find
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok