Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

Jeff I have an 02 25 hp BigFoot. Overheats under a load....fast forward.. I know it

Customer Question

Hi Jeff I have an 02 25 hp BigFoot. Overheats under a load....fast forward.. I know it is the rubber oring/gasket constricting the water flow under the powerhead. Many of these units are known for this problem. The allen head bolt(under the head) releases the upper leg to access the top of the water tube to replace/repair rubber fitting. Is this a tough job? Do you have a schematic to show this process? Thank you, Mark
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome,this question may need more than a single answer. Please post back with additional questions on this at any time.
Get me the serial number of the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont have the motor here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am preparing to send the motor to a Merc dealer in Minnesota where they have seen this problem a number of times. (only because the shipping rates where I work are extremely cheap because of volume) It seems ridiculous that is what I need to do to get it repaired correctly....or maybe with your help I can just do it myself. Thanks again, Mark
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Here is a link to removing the powerhead. Look through it and see if you want to do the job yourself. It is too complicated to describe so the service manual chapter should do it. I would recommend boats.net for parts at discount.
Thanks
https://www.dropbox.com/s/szk92ss2psx3i3a/4b.pdf?dl=0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jeff. This is a BIG help. Any chance you would also have the schematic of what to expect under the powerhead? The top of the water tube? Thanks, Mark
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Not handy but you'll see it! It right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jeff. I'll have to take another look in the morning. thank you
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Let me know what you think about proceeding.